Friday, October 18, 2013

The Clothing Distribution Project

When I was called to be the 2nd counselor in our ward Primary I found out we were in charge of a very large project - to distribute 13,000 lbs. of clothing to local families in need.  A semi-truck came from Salt Lake City filled with bales of clothing and winter coats and boots.  It was an enormous undertaking and involved so many wonderful volunteers over a period of about 4 days, but it all went off without a hitch.  Here are a couple pictures, but they do not do the entire thing justice at all.


This was just the room for boots and shoes...the gym was filled many times over with clothing and winter coats for men, women, and children of all sizes.


This is me in my lovely yellow "helping hands" volunteer vest from LDS Welfare Services.


Logan was my little helper while I was there to volunteer.  He LOVED helping to "sort" the clothing with the adults and when it was time for us to go home he didn't want to leave.  It was such a humbling and eye-opening experience to see the people who came for clothing - some who obviously were in great need and were very appreciative - and several times it was hard to hold back tears.

There were others though who were dressed in brand new brand name clothes from head to toe with a blue tooth in their ear and manicured nails...but who am I to judge another?  We were blessed with food and extra help we needed for four years while Kyle was in medical school and I'm sure there were times we didn't look like the "type" that needed help either.

My heart was touched as we sorted out brand new clothes with tags still on them but then broken again as we pulled out dirty/stained/torn rags of clothing which were "donated" for others to use.  It has made me think so much about what true charity means and about putting myself in another's shoes.  It was an experience I won't soon forget.


No comments: