Saturday, October 19, 2013

Megan's 6th Birthday!

This year Meg informed me she wanted a "rock-star" birthday... I wasn't really sure how to go about it at first but, with some serious research via Pinterest and Google images, I found some really fun ideas and I think she was satisfied with her party.

I found a web-site that allowed me to print invitations which looked just like concert tickets for free.  I also found pictures of backdrops made of cut-up plastic table cloths for curtains and cardboard boxes covered in black paper for speakers.  I pulled out my cricut and my glue gun and got to work!  However, after cutting out two cardboard guitars by hand I decided to pay for them instead so as to not destroy my scissors or the blood vessels in my hand anymore. I ordered 12 cardboard guitars and 12 small plastic microphones from a company here in MI and they arrived the next day!  The rest of the decor and favors I did myself :)  However, my cricut is now toast...the size dial has stopped working! ugh...

I wasn't sure how to go about inviting her new friends from school - I didn't know them or their parents or how to contact any of them any other way than chasing them down the sidewalk after school half-yelling, "Hey! Are you so-and-so's mom? This is for you."  Yeah...just a little awkward, but oh well.

One of my biggest challenges this year was figuring out the amount of guests.  A friend told me to invite about twice as many people as I actually wanted to show up because Saturdays in R.O. are really busy with soccer games and other things going on.  She was right, so I did...but then it rained all Friday night and all Saturday morning, so I got a bunch of mom's texting me a couple of hours before the party asking if it was still ok that their daughter come because their plans were cancelled due to all the rain.  Hence we ended up with 10 little girls at the party.  Luckily a couple of the moms wanted to stay and they were a major help when the craziness ensued.  Kyle was amazing, as usual, with his willingness to help and ability to calm me down when things were getting nuts.

The music for the party was another hurtle for me.  The whole theme was a little tricky because I didn't want any parents concerned about what would be going on.  However, thanks to our local library, I was able to find a bunch of Radio Disney cd's which had "rock-n-roll" versions of songs from Disney movies - PERFECT!! I wanted to have the girls "dress up" like rock stars too but shied away from tattoos.  I was going to do colored spray paint in their hair but it's sort of expensive and, again, I didn't want any parents calling me later complaining.  I went to Party America and found two packages of bobby pins with strands of different neon colored hair on them - again PERFECT!

Each girl picked a color and had some rock-star hair for the party.  They colored their guitars and jammed out to Disney songs.  They ate cake and ice cream and ran around beating each other with pink and purple balloons - it was crazy...but it was so much fun.  We had a dance-off and ended the party with all the girls singing "Roar" by Katy Perry (Meg's new favorite song).  All in all, I think it was a success.  Meg spent the rest of the afternoon thanking me REPEATEDLY for "the fun party and birthday".

I love my "baby" girl so much and I can't believe how fast she is growing up (I mean, Rock Star party, really??)  She is so smart and sweet and girly but always thinks of others before herself.  She has a wild side too, but it's fun and funny and I can't wait to see what this next year will bring.  LOVE YOU MEGGERS!!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

1 comment:

Liz Ricker said...

So so so so so sweet and creative. You really are such an incredible momma. I love you. And I love my little megan.... I miss you guys more than you know! I hope you are doing well. I really can't believe so much time has already passed. Kyle will be done before you know it. Love you. Catch up with you soon!