Thursday, October 14, 2010

Broadway in Chicago

Midwestern University offered its students tickets to see Disney's The Lion King (the Broadway Show) at the Cadillac Palace on Oct. 13, 2010. Normally, tickets for the seats we got are around $90 to $100, but we were able to get them for $25, which included the bus ride to and from the theater! It was an amazing opportunity we just couldn't pass up. I was nervous about leaving Logan for 5 hours, but it was well worth it (thanks again Nate&Missy!!). We went with a group of friends from the school, plus a few people from the ward, so it was a ton of fun.

The song I have playing is from the play but is not in the cartoon, which is sad because it is so beautiful and so full of meaning. I had sort of forgotten how wonderful the message of The Lion King is - about remembering who (whose) you are and reaching for your potential. Ah! It was just amazing! The cartoon is being re-released on DVD/Blu-ray next year and I was already planning to get it for the kids, but now I have a renewed appreciation for the story.

The costumes were SO COOL! It was good that we had the movie practically memorized because it allowed us to not have to focus so much on the lines and the plot and just be able to watch the costumes and marvel at how the actors really became the animals they were playing...it was incredible and I am SO glad we went!

I am really looking forward to this winter now when Wicked will be playing. We saw CATS last year and it was sort of cool to have that experience but the play was so weird that I wasn't sure I'd want to see another Broadway production...but now I'm hooked and I am going to try to take every opportunity while we are here in Chicago to have these amazing experiences.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make your own slideshow design

2 comments:

Amber said...

Wow! How fun! We went to Phantom of the Opera in Hollywood ast week and it was also AMAZING!!! I'm glad you guys had a night out. And by the way, you look awesome! You are a hotty mommy!

Janean said...

Glad you got to go! We went last year and LOVED it as well! Colter and I have decided we love going to broadways...luckily I haven't seen one I didn't like. Unfortunately we missed Mama Mia this fall when it came to Anchorage :(. Definately go to Phantom of the opera if you get a chance...that is my other favorite...VERY GOOD! I did heard that Wicked is also really good. I haven't had the chance to see that one yet though...so let me know how it goes!