Monday, October 15, 2012

Death of a Camera

I have no pictures from last week.  My Nikon CoolPix camera decided to start freaking out and then it died.  So only a couple of pictures from Irene's visit and NOTHING from the fun Columbus Day lesson for preschool last week.





I'm glad I had saved a big chunk of my babysitting money for a "rainy day" but I was not happy to have had to spend all of it on a new camera.  But, the Canon I got is amazing and I'm very happy with it.  It's got a lithium battery and an 8x optic zoom.  It's even blue.

Last week for preschool we studied Christopher Columbus.  For our opening activity time we colored a picture of a ship and then taped on paper sails which "billowed" in the wind.  We discussed how ships used sails to catch the wind and move them across the sea.  During circle time we sang songs about Columbus and pretended to row our boats with him.  For snack time we had "sea biscuits" with jam and mandarin oranges (to prevent scurvy, of course!).  At wiggle time we danced to videos of "A Sailor Went to Sea, Sea, Sea" and "Day-O".  For our lesson we read a "biography" of Christopher Columbus and charted his course on our map of the world.  We learned about the different countries people came from to the New World.  For our Art Project we made our own telescopes using paper towel tubes and decorated them with scenes from the ocean (including mermaids).  We even put a piece of plastic wrap on the ends with a drawing of "land" so we could say "LAND-HO!" We had a lot of fun learning about the discovery of our great land.

I did take pictures with my phone, but I don't have a way to get them directly on-line, so maybe with some luck I'll be able to figure it out later.  Meanwhile, here are some of the first images my new camera caught... 


wow... with my other camera that would have just been a blur...maybe this new camera has some drawbacks?


ok, that's much better...but it was before I discovered my camera will automatically correct red-eye!


such a sweet boy!

No comments: