Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hooray for LIHEAP!

So, after we had been gone for 10 days in December with our heat turned down to 65 degrees, we got our power bill and it was over $150! Since then, we have been living in sweaters and blankets with the heat set at 69 degrees but our power bill came and was $177!!!
I had heard of LIHEAP (a government program to help low-income families with utility bills) in the past from friends but every time I called them I couldn't get a straight answer about anything and they kept telling me I could not apply yet...grrrr...
Anyway, so today the LIHEAP people were at Kyle's school and so we quickly gathered everything together and ran over there during lunch and got it all set up. Now we will hear back in 30 days if we are approved (which the lady there told us we were but we have to wait for the letter in the mail) and then we will have a $460 credit on our account to help us pay for our power. This means that if our next bill is, again, $177 I could send only $77 and use $100 of our credit and then have $360 to use later on in the months to come. It is meant to be used during these extra cold months.
I am so grateful for programs like this that allow us to live comfortably even though we have no money! I just know we have a loving Father in Heaven who is watching out for us. We have always been blessed with what we need and I know He will continue to provide a way for us while we are on this journey.

No comments: