Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Interview in Grand Rapids

On Oct. 30, 2012, Kyle and I dropped the kiddos off with our good friends and headed up to Grand Rapids, Michigan, for HIS FIRST RESIDENCY INTERVIEW!!  I got to come along because they had a dinner the night before where they wanted the spouses/significant others to attend.  They even paid for the hotel!  We were wined and dined at a very nice place and got to meet a few of the residents.  

On October 31, 2012, I sent my wonderful husband off ready to impress and I got to sleep in!! Actually, that had been the plan but I got hungry, so I had to go downstairs and get some cinnamon french toast.  I got to eat a quiet breakfast while it was still hot without anyone whining or throwing tantrums or asking for anything...it was heavenly!  I took my sweet time getting ready for the day since I had until noon to check-out and Ky's interview lasted until 3 pm.  I watched a few episodes of Castle (my latest addiction - I've just finished season 3) while I got ready for the day.  

I went exploring downtown Grand Rapids and I liked what I saw.  Our hotel was directly across the street from the Gerald Ford Museum and the Grand Rapids Public Museum.  There was also a children's museum and an art museum within walking distance.  I stopped in at a Starbucks for some hot caramel apple cider and walked all over the city just soaking in how clean and un-crowded it all was.  I walked across the Grand River and noticed a self-guided walking tour path which goes all over the city...but parts of it were closed for the season so I didn't get too far.

After a while it was getting colder and beginning to snow (thank you Hurricane Sandy) so I headed back toward our hotel and decided to tour the Grand Rapids Public Museum.  It was really cool.  Somewhat smaller than our Field Museum, but I liked it better that way because for $8 I could actually see everything they had and not get completely worn out looking at too much of the same thing.  

The exhibits were set up alphabetically - A for Automobiles, B for Boxes, etc.  I think the creepiest exhibit was a toss-up between the hall of dolls and zoology.  The museum was pretty empty so I was wandering around by myself through most of it and all those creepy-looking old dolls were a little much.  Then there was the Hitler doll - yes, an Adolf Hitler doll...weird.  The zoology exhibit was just room after room of stuffed animals set in scenes or hanging from the walls; on Halloween, being alone in a room with a bunch of dead animals sort of gave me the creeps.

I got done with the museum right around the time Ky got done with his interview and so we jumped in the car and headed home.  On our way to get the kids we stopped at the airport to pick up a special delivery... to be continued...

Oh, and Kyle totally ROCKED THE SOCKS OFF his interview!!  :) So proud of my man!

    

No comments: